In QuickBooks, you may need to unapply credit when a customer has overpaid for an invoice. By unapplying a credit in QuickBooks, you can adjust the overpayment in QuickBooks. Usually, when a customer makes an overpayment, QuickBooks automatically applies the credit to an overpaid invoice from a customer. However, you can unapply this credit in QuickBooks application and choose another method to settle the extra payment in QuickBooks. In the post, we will discuss the steps on how to unapply credit in QuickBooks Desktop application.
Steps to Unapply Credit In QuickBooks
You may need to unapply a credit in QuickBooks when the application automatically applies an overpaid invoice to the new customer. In QuickBooks, these are four ways to get it done. However, you can ask your customer on how o unapply a credit in QuickBooks Desktop software. To get it done, you need to find credit memos in QuickBooks in the first place.
Find Credit Memos In QuickBooks
To find the credit memos in QuickBooks, follow the below-given steps:
- Launch QuickBooks and then select Customers and Receivables located underneath the Report tab.
- Next, you need to select the Transaction List by Customer from the new drown-down list.
- Moving ahead, hit on the Customize Report option and then go to the Filters tab.
- After that, insert Transaction Type in the Choose Filter search area.
- Now click Transaction Type and then select Credit Memo from the drop-down list.
- Hit OK, also it will show you all Credit Memos that you have in QuickBooks Desktop.
Different Ways On How To Unapply A Credit In QuickBooks Desktop?
Now that you have found credit memos in QuickBooks, let’s see different ways on how to unapply a credit in QuickBooks:
- Create a credit and refund the overpaid amount.
- Write off the amount by creating a Journal Entry.
- Apply the credit to the following invoice that the customer needs to pay.
- Apply the credit to an unpaid invoice.
You can unapply a credit in QuickBooks using any of the above-given methods. You can discuss with your customer about the most suitable way to get it done and then proceed further to the next section.
How to Unapply Credit from Bill in QuickBooks Desktop?
If you want to remove or unapply Credit from a Bill, then the below-given procedure can help:
- In the first place, select the right vendor from the Vendor Credit list.
- Next, you need to hit the radio button for Credit to change the transaction type and click Save and Close.
- In the end, mark the radio button again to change the transaction type.
- Click Yes to confirm.
These steps can describe on how to unapply credit in QuickBooks Desktop from bills.
How to Unapply a Credit in QuickBooks Invoice?
If you are not sure on how to unapply credit from an Invoice, try the below-given steps:
- Go to the Credit Memo list and double-click the invoice you want to change
- Now, you need to click on Apply Credit and remove the selected credits from the Previously Applied Credits screen.
- On the Apply Credit screen, click Done.
- Finally, click Save & Close to finish the task.
How to Delete Credit from an Invoice in QBO?
To get the task done, follow the below stated method carefully:
- Locate the invoice you want to change and then open it.
- Now select the link that includes the invoice to the credit.
- When you see the Apply Credit screen, click Done.
- When the invoice window appears on your screen, hit Save and Close to get the task accomplished.
Need Professional Assistance!
The solutions described in this article can help you with how to unapply a credit in QuickBooks. However, if you are still wondering how do I unapply a credit in QuickBooks, then feel free to provide us a call on our QuickBooks error helpline number. Our qualified QB experts will guide you on how to unapply a credit in QuickBooks in a hassle-free method so that you can get the task done without any technical distress.